In cleaning out my email (YAY for January and wanting to clean, clean, clean) I stumbled across this recipe that I made for a friends wedding shower that we hosted at our house in 2008. It was my first time making Southwestern Eggrolls but we were having a FIESTA so I thought they would be perfect - they did not disappoint. I had several people ask for the recipe when the shower was over. Try them – I think you will be pleased, like a little Fiesta in your tummy! I couldn’t make up my mind on what sauce to make so I made them both – they were both great but anything with avocado in it can’t go wrong in my book!
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 can of chicken
2 tablespoons minced green onion
2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
1/3 cup frozen corn kernels
1/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
2 tablespoons diced jalapeno peppers
1/2 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
1 pinch ground cayenne pepper
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
5 (6 inch) raw flour tortillas
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in green onion and red pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until tender.
- Add chicken and mix into the pan with onion and red pepper. Mix in corn, black beans, spinach, jalapeno peppers, parsley, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir 5 minutes, until well blended and tender. Remove from heat and stir in Monterey Jack cheese so that it melts.
- Wet the raw tortillas and then spoon even amounts of the mixture into each tortilla. Fold ends of tortillas, then roll tightly around mixture. Place seam side down. Arrange in a medium dish. Brush the tortillas with olive oil (or spray with baking spray) and bake in the oven at 425 for 20 minutes or until the tops are a golden brown.
- Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before cutting them in half and serving.
Cilantro Cream Sauce
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon sour cream
1 (7 ounce) can tomatillo salsa
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Combine cream cheese, sour cream, salsa, pepper, celery salt, cumin, garlic powder, cilantro and lime juice in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy. Place in a serving bowl.
Avocado-Ranch Dipping Sauce
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon buttermilk
1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon dried parsley
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
dash dried dill weed
dash garlic powder
- Combine all of the ingredients - you can either blend until smooth and creamy or smash up the avocados with a fork and leave it chunkier. Place in a serving bowl.