Tuesday, July 19, 2011

{Signs}

We are having VBS (vacation bible school) at our church this week, it runs from 6:00pm – 8:30pm so as you can imagine it makes for a really long day for the kids (and mommy too). Ella got a little “testy” last night on our way home and it was evident that it was time for bed – that wasn’t in her plans and so here came the flood works, stomping of feet and pouty face (told you it was time for bed). I got Blake ready for bed and put him down all while The Fit of 2011 was occurring. I finally had enough – I was hot, tired and tired of the whining, crying, fit throwing, yelling, etc. I couldn’t do ANYTHING right in Ella’s eyes and I finally just said our bedtime prayers and walked out of her room. I. Was. Done. I got ready for bed and took a quick peek at my Pinterest account and saw this…

LaughWhenYouCan

I do believe in disciplining your children and I also believe that we should apologize to them when we do something that we are not proud of  whether they are 3 or 33. So I walked back into Ella’s room and bent down in her ear and told her that I was sorry for the way that I reacted to her tantrum and that I will work on the way that I react/respond to things. She rolled over looked me right in the eye and said, “I’m sorry Mommy for throwing a fit and for not listening and I will work on it too.” This all from a child that you practically have to pull an apology out of (wonder where she gets that). That moment was good for me,  to hear her sweet little voice apologize and then tell me that she forgave me – the cuddles were great too.

I do believe in signs and subtle reminders and I was actually aware enough last night to take notice and act on it…something that I wish I did more. I learned a lot last night in a dark bedroom with glow in the dark stars on the ceiling and two little arms wrapped around my neck. We are in this together.

Mommy&Ella

“There’s no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one.”     -Jill Churchill

No comments: