Friday, November 13, 2009

{Lessons Learned}

 

Before I had children I had heard numerous times that being a parent is the hardest  job that I would ever have. It’s one of those things like “Enjoy your College years you’ll never get them back” that you hear and understand but don’t really “get” until you’ve done it. It’s hard to understand what some things look like until you are right smack in the middle of them.

I have learned so much about myself and grown up in so many different ways by being responsible for two other human beings. I am reminded and challenged daily to look at myself and study the areas where I still have lots of room for improvement. Sometimes I can smile and other times it can be painful, but I’m a work in progress and I still have some growing up to do right along with my children. One day at a time.

· I’ve learned that being a parent means you can no longer eat junk food at any point during the day because you’ll have to explain why you can and they can’t.

· I’ve learned that after you have children, there is no such thing as being bored anymore.

· I’ve learned that if I want my child to remain calm, I have to do the same and that much of how my child responds is a lesson learned from me.

· I’ve learned that disciplining my child because of my own agendas doesn’t go over very well and it isn’t the point.

· I’ve learned that sleep is a distant memory once children come into your life but that I CAN actually survive on much less than I thought.

· I’ve learned that no matter how much I want to keep my child from being hurt in any way, I can’t, and my babies will be heartbroken at times in their lives. OUCH.

· I’ve learned that if I give my children an inch, they’ll take a mile, so I have to mean what I say.

· I’ve learned that being consistent is not as easy as it sounds.

· I’ve learned that I must be disciplined in order to discipline my children.

· I’ve learned that seeing a smile on my child’s face makes for some of the happiest moments of my life.

· I’ve learned that success and possessions really don’t mean anything and that true love is the biggest blessing of all.

· I’ve learned that sometimes letting go is the best way to love someone.

· I’ve learned that I’m stronger than I thought I was and that children are too.

· I’ve learned that being a parent means laughing and crying all in the same moments.

· I’ve learned that being a parent means witnessing God’s masterpiece unfold before my eyes and that there is no greater gift on earth.

· I’ve learned that a kisses and hugs can fix lots of boo-boos.

· I’ve learned that routines make for happier children and happier mommies.

· I’ve learned that seeing the wonder on a child’s face makes the gloomiest days bright.

· I’ve learned that my family and friends are amazing because it really does take a village.

No comments: